Pages

Saturday, August 30, 2014

August 30

St Rose of Lima (1586-1617); Virgin; Lima, Peru; Feast day August 30

"Lord, increase my sufferings, and with them increase Your love in my heart."

Abbot Macarius, as quoted by St Alphonsus:

"When you are tempted in times of dryness to give up praying because you seem to be wasting your time, say:  Since I cannot pray, I will be satisfied just to remain on watch here in my cell for the love of Jesus Christ!"

St John of Avila (1500-1569); Priest, Confessor, Doctor of the Church; Almodovar del Campo, Spain; Feast day May 10.

"O nails, leave those innocent hands of my Lord, and come and pierce my heart with compassion and love!  For you, my Jesus, did die, as St Paul says, in order to gain dominion over the living and the dead, not by means of chastisements, but by love."

No comments:

Post a Comment