Pages

Friday, May 24, 2013

May 23rd
St Michael the Confessor (d. 818), Bishop, Confessor; Constantinople, Turkey; Feast day May 23rd

"I venerate the immaculate and divine image of our Savior and Lord, Jesus Christ, and of His most holy Mother."

St Julia (d. 439), Martyr; Carthage, Tunisia; Feast day May 23rd

"My liberty is the service of Christ, whom I serve every day with a pure mind.  As for that error of yours, I not only do not venerate it, I detest it."

Ven. Louis of Granada (1505-1588), Priest, Confessor; Granada, Spain

"Venial sin, however slight, is always prejudicial to the soul.  It weakens our devotion, troubles the peace of our conscience, diminishes the fervor of charity, exhausts the strength of our spiritual life, and obstructs the work of the Holy Ghost in our souls.  I pray you then to do all in your power to avoid these sins, for there is not enemy too weak to harm us if we make no resistance.  Sight anger, gluttony, vanity, idle words and thoughts, immoderate laughter, loss of time, too much sleeping, trivial lies or flatteries -- such are the sins against which I would particularly warn you.  Great vigilance is required against offenses of this kind, for occasions of venial sin abound."

No comments:

Post a Comment