Pages

Thursday, May 9, 2013

May 9th
St Gregory the Theologian (329-389), Confessor, Doctor of the Church; Cappadocia; Feast day May 9  (Nazianzus)

"I have given all I have to Him from whom I received it, and have taken Him alone for my whole possession. I have consecrated to Him my goods, my glory, my health, my tongue and talents.  all the fruit I have received from these advantages has been the happiness of despising them for Christ's sake."

"Let us never esteem worldly prosperity or adversity as things real or of any moment, but let us live elsewhere, and raise all our attention to heaven, esteeming sin as the only true evil, and nothing truly good but virtue, which unites us to God."

"Let us offer ourselves entire to God that in Him we may find ourselves again entire.  It is truly great riches to be destitute of earthly goods for His sake who was pleased to suffer poverty for the love of us."

"Admire the excess of God's goodness.  He vouchsafes to accept our desires as if they were a thing of great value.  He burns with an ardent desire that we vehemently desire and love Him; and He receives the petition we put up for His benefits as if this were a benefit to Himself, and a favor we did Him:  He gives with greater joy than it can be to us to receive what He gives.  Let us only be careful not to be too indifferent in our requests, or to set too narrow bounds to our desires and pretensions; and let us never ask frivolous things which it would be unworthy of His magnificence to petition Him for.  There is nothing so great before God which the least among men is not able to offer Him, as well as the greatest prince or most profound scholar: give but yourself to Him with the most pure and perfect love."

Bl Theresa of Jesus Gerhardinger (1797-1879), Virgin, Foundress; Bavaria; Feast day May 9th

"Let us never forget the love of Jesus for children, whom He took upon His lap and blessed."









No comments:

Post a Comment