Pages

Friday, June 14, 2013

June 14th
St Basil (329-379), Bishop, Confessor, Doctor of the Church; Ceasarea, Cappadocia; Feast day June 14th

"He who has nothing to lose is secure against confiscation.  I am master of nothing but a few books and the rags I wear, neither of which, I presume, you have any great occasion for.  As to banishment, I know of no such thing in your power to inflict upon me, who account not the country I now inhabit my own.  Heaven only is my country.  I as little fear your torments: my emaciated body cannot hold out long under them.  The first stroke will dispatch me, and put an end both to my life and pain.  Much less do I dread death, which I regard as a favor; for it will bring me sooner to my Creator, for whom alone I live."

"In all other occurrences we bishops are of all men living the meekest and most submissive: we do not carry ourselves haughtily towards the meanest plebeian, much less towards persons vested with much power.  But where the cause of God and religion is at stake, we overlook all things else, regarding God alone.  Your fire, daggers, beasts, and burning pincers in this cause are our option and delight: you may threaten and torment us; but can never overcome us."

St Teresa of Avila (1515-1582), Virgin, Foundress; Avila, Spain; Feast day October 15th

"Do not let your heart cling to inner solace.  For that is in the manner of common soldiers: they demand their daily wage at once.  Give your service as the noblest officers serve their king -- for nothing!"

No comments:

Post a Comment